Black-Eyed Peas & Ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 pound fully cooked boneless ham, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Arizona Gunslinger Red Jalapeno Pepper Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Soak peas according to package directions.
- Transfer peas to a 6-qt. slow cooker; add the next 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low until peas are tender, 5-7 hours. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- Serve with rice.