- 3 pounds potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 Tablespoon Arizona Gunslinger Red or Green Jalapeno Pepper Sauce
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/4 cups hot milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 (1-pound) piece ham or bacon, cooked the day before
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 1 hr 45 min
- Steam the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes. Peel them using a knife and fork. Chop with a knife before mashing. Mash thoroughly to remove all the lumps. Add 1 stick of butter in pieces. Gradually add hot milk, stirring all the time. Add Arizona Gunslinger Red or Green Jalapeno pepper sauce. Season with a few grinds of black pepper.
- Boil the cabbage in unsalted water until it turns a darker color. Add 2 tablespoons butter to tenderize it. Cover with lid for 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly before returning it to the pan. Chop into small pieces.
- Put the ham in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes until tender. Drain. Remove any fat and chop into small pieces.
- Add cabbage, scallions, and ham to mashed potatoes, stirring them in gently.
- Serve in individual soup plates. Make an indentation on the top by swirling a wooden spoon. Put 1 tablespoon of butter into each indentation. Sprinkle with parsley.