Sausage & Kale Lentil Stew
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 baby carrots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Arizona Gunslinger Red Jalapeno Pepper Sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, carrots and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles, 8-10 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Place tomatoes and red peppers in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add to sausage mixture; stir in lentils, broth, Arizona Gunslinger Red Jalapeno Sauce, bay leaf and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kale; cook until lentils and kale are tender, 10-15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.